Butternut squash is one of our favorite squashes ever and this velvety and delicious soup will make you do a little dance as it wraps its silky warm "oranginess" around you.
When picking your squash check to see that it is beige all over, the darker the shade, the better. There should be no green patches on it whatsoever. The skin should be mat, not glossy and shiny.
- 1 medium to large butternut squash
- 1 small golden onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 24 fl oz of vegetable broth
- 1/2 a cup of heavy cream
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Fresh nutmeg
- Topping: feta cheese
- Topping: toasted pumpkin seeds
THE "HOW TO"
- Peel and de-seed your squash cutting it into about 1 inch cubes
- Chop your onion and garlic
- In a heavy pot add enough olive oil to coat the pan over medium heat
- Add your chopped onion and garlic and sweat them until they become translucent, then add your butternut squash stirring often coating it with the oil from the pot
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil
- Once it comes to a boil lower the heat leaving it simmering for 25-30 minutes or until the squash is fully cooked (you can test this by skewering it with a knife or fork)
- Take the soup off the heat and let it cool down for a while before blending it with an immersion blender. Take your time blending it thoroughly so that it is perfectly smooth
- Once blended add your heavy cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- Place back on the heat, stirring constantly until it is heated through again and is the right velvety consistency
- Serve with crumbled feta and toasted pumpkin seeds
Have you made this recipe? Make sure to share your delicious dish and tag it with #afinerecipe for a chance to be featured on our channels!